Thursday, September 30, 2010

HEALTHY CHOCOLATE CAKE RECIPE

Grease and base-line a 20cm round, loose-based cake tin. { I sprayed with cooking oil spray}

Heat the oven to 350F/180C/gas 4.

Sift together 250g (1 1/2 cups) plain flour {I used cake flour and didn't sift}, 4 tbsp cocoa powder, 250g (1 cup) caster sugar {I used xylitol for lower calories}, 1 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda) and 1/2 tsp salt.

In a separate bowl, mix together 5 tbsp (1/3 cup) of vegetable oil or apple puree {I used apple sauce}, 1 tbsp vinegar {I used apple cider vinegar}, 1 tsp vanilla essence {pure vanilla extract}, 250ml (1 cup) warm water.

Mix these into the dry ingredients until just amalgamated. Do not over mix.

Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 30-35 minutes until the cake has risen and springs back when pressed.

Serve the cake just as it is, or to make it extra special, top with Greek yogurt and raspberries.

{I mixed sugar free strawberry jelly with xylitol, some defrosted raspberries, and ricotta cheese together to make the icing. Then I topped the cake with light whipped cream.... My kids commented that the cake was "out of this world"...lol}

No comments: